If you are a bicyclist and have been hit by a vehicle on the road, you need to get representation to protect your rights. There are unique rules and statues that govern the rules of the road for bicycles and motor vehicles and you need a lawyer that is well versed in these subject areas so that your case can be properly prepared and presented to a judge, jury or insurance company.
If this has happened to you there are a few do’s and don’ts including:
- Always ride with a phone and ID.
- Call 911 or ask someone to do this for you. Make sure to get a police report and the business card of the officer that is on the scene but do not make statements at the scene of the accident; it is ok for you to settle your mind and get medical attention. Get data and make no statements until you’ve retained counsel.
- Do get to the hospital. Even if you “think” you are ok there could be underlying injuries internally that you may not immediately detect that could be life threatening. You will also want any medical impact from the accident recorded. Also make sure you take any guidance from your doctors seriously.
- If you are able, get names and phone numbers of any witnesses to the accident and if you’re not able, ask a witness to help you. Also, pictures of the accident scene as it happened, your person and the vehicle in the accident can be very helpful.
- Do not negotiate with the driver of the vehicle. Only get a name, driver license, insurance card and license plate numbers. Also get names and phone numbers of any passengers in the car.
- Do not get on social media and talk about your accident. This opens you up to attacks by the other party and their insurance company who may look to use your statements to attack your credibility.
After you’ve followed out do’s and don’ts, call us so we can get going on your case. We’ll start to use the data available and our knowledge of Bike Law in South Carolina to make sure you are compensated. You may qualify for financial rewards to cover:
- Medical expenses related to the accident which can require long term care for bicycle accidents.
- Loss of income which could be substantial if you are subjected to lengthy recovery or an injury that prohibits you from returning to work.
- Emotional stress and support. Don’t think about this as a weakness, there can be severe emotional distress resulting from an accident and can we as bad or worse than physical injuries.
- Replacement or repair of your property damaged or lost as a result of the accident.
- Pain and suffering.
It is critical that you act fast. Please call us at (800)-XXX-YYYY and we’ll get on the case, protect your interests and help get you back on the road. We will take the pressure off you and fight to ensure that you are successful with your claim.